The client was a middle-market provider of IT consulting and managed services.
- After taking the business from a small one-man IT shop to the leading regional IT consultancy and MSP in the Minnesota region, the founder and majority shareholder came to a place in his life where he had the bulk of his wealth tied up in the business.
- Further, he and the management team recognized that taking the company to the next level would require additional capital and expertise outside their purview.
- JD Merit had the opportunity to help deliver a transaction that helped the shareholders gain liquidity, while providing Emergent with a larger platform to accelerate organic growth and provide expanded career opportunities for employees.
- JDM was faced with a challenge when the company initially signed a LOI with a strategic buyer that neglected to make progress on the transaction. Upon expiration of LOI exclusivity, and given JD Merit’s extensive network in the IT services space, we were able to quickly engage a new buyer and execute a new LOI.
- JD Merit effectively positioned the business with strategic buyers as an opportunity to acquire significant market share with SME customers, along with top-tier software development resources.
- We accomplished this by collaborating with management to develop growth forecasts, as well as using a deep understanding of the firm’s value proposition, its markets, customers and unique growth opportunities.
- By leveraging work done with the initial buyer and tightly managing the due diligence process and legal negotiations, JD Merit was able to deliver to the client a transaction closing approximately 30 days after signing the LOI.
- The company’s shareholders were able to meet their goals while simultaneously positioning the company for growth and providing the employees robust career opportunities.
Learn how we can help you
What our clients are saying
Meet Our Clients
"The team at JD Merit works hard and puts in a lot of time and energy. And because of that, they're talking to people with a lot more sincerity than just putting out a deck. They went deeper and not only understood our strategy, but they understood how to pitch the right strategy to the folks on the other end of the transaction. They explained our business so a potential suitor understood how it could be integrated into their business.
JD Merit thought of a more strategic transaction and they built a better story. It's what's created more offers and what made the offers higher."
"JD Merit not only did everything they promised, they provided significant strategic guidance required to help us navigate the path of getting this transaction across the finish line. Their patience, tenacity, and professionalism when things got tough was the difference in completing this transaction for us."
“I greatly appreciated JD Merit’s expertise and guidance throughout this process and appreciated, even more, their attention to the intangible things that were important to me and my company beyond just getting a deal done.”
“I enjoyed working with JD Merit—they made an enormous contribution in such a complex but successful transaction. I would be happy for the chance to give a reference in the future for what a great job they did!”
"I wanted to work with an Investment Banking firm that was going to be able to understand our business, get to know me and my team, and then not only help us secure the investor, but help us find the right investor because they understood what we really needed. We got that and more with JD Merit. Their strategic guidance, patience, and diligence were critical in getting this transaction finished, and was the difference maker in this process.”
"We are thrilled with the outcome JD Merit delivered for our family through the sale of the business. With their guidance, we were able to unlock significant shareholder liquidity while positioning the employees of the company for continued success within a growing platform.”
"We hired JD Merit over other investment bankers because of the responsiveness to our questions, aggressive approach to winning, persistence in following-up, and the many creative ideas the team presented. JD Merit added significant value beyond just running a process."
"Unlike many investment banks I've worked with during my career, JD Merit was attentive at all stages of our transaction, which really made a difference in achieving a great outcome."
“Through the broad auction, JD Merit got us another 75% above the offers that originally came in. We still have a piece of the company and I’m still able to run it. I feel good that our key employees are going to be secure in the future. It’s a win-win for everybody.”
"The team at JD Merit have provided invaluable assistance in stabilizing and growing my company. They’ve helped with both short-term challenges and long-term planning. Their experience running multiple businesses like mine and vast network of contacts have brought value to my company and to me personally. If you want help taking your business to the next level, I highly recommend JD Merit."
"As a business/transactional attorney, I have had the opportunity to work with many investment bankers in the M&A arena. The JD Merit team is, without question, the best in the local middle-market space. They make clients feel comfortable by both listening to and provide thoughtful advice for legal counsel. Most importantly, they are able to negotiate a great deal.
Quite refreshingly, JD Merit puts the needs of the client above closing a deal – something very rare in the M&A world. I give my highest possible recommendation to the JD Merit team."
"The JD Merit team has provided my company with professionalism and valuable counsel on multiple transactions. They listened to our needs, and as business operators themselves, they understood the opportunities open to us and the challenges we faced to grow. They fought hard for us at every stage. We would absolutely look to them for our future investment banking needs."
“The JD Merit team has extensive M&A and capital-raising experience in the middle market, both as investment bankers and entrepreneurs. They are great to have on an engagement team and are committed to helping clients succeed, whether buying or selling a business or sourcing capital to scale a growing business.”
"The JD Merit team was invaluable in several transactions involving a niche consumer products company where I served as CEO. The JD Merit team is talented, well-disciplined, and rolls up their sleeves to work alongside management to get the work done. With their controlled approach, management can continue to focus on the business for the benefit of all involved. I certainly would recommend JD Merit & Company and will choose to work with them again.”